Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Altec 604-8g's how to improve?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2008
    Location
    SEPA
    Posts
    633
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 604-8g's how to improve?

    - what do you like about them
    - what do you want to improve?
    - would you go to a bigger cabinet?

    Seems bass response is on the list -

    The 612C is spec'd as 6.8 ft3, I don't see a cabinet tuning listed.

    You might first get an idea of what you are dealing with,
    - by measuring the impedance response of the LF section.
    - by measuring the 'free air' parameter impedance response of the 604 itself.
    A bass reflex should exhibit 2 peaks in the LF. So comparing/contrasting the two, you get a picture of what the cab is doing to the driver response as a matter of now being a system.

    Then you can block off the port and see (while hearing) what difference that makes.

    Then infer whether enlarging (or otherwise tweaking) the port is what you might want to do, or might want not to do.

    I have 604's in 3154's (spec'd: 6 ft3) and have a bit of a hole from 55-80hz, maybe ranging a bit higher, ...to sort out.

  2. #2
    Junior Hostboard Member Terp's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    18
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 604-8g's how to improve?

    Quote Originally Posted by gearfreak View Post
    - what do you like about them
    - what do you want to improve?
    - would you go to a bigger cabinet?

    Seems bass response is on the list -

    The 612C is spec'd as 6.8 ft3, I don't see a cabinet tuning listed.

    You might first get an idea of what you are dealing with,
    - by measuring the impedance response of the LF section.
    - by measuring the 'free air' parameter impedance response of the 604 itself.
    A bass reflex should exhibit 2 peaks in the LF. So comparing/contrasting the two, you get a picture of what the cab is doing to the driver response as a matter of now being a system.

    Then you can block off the port and see (while hearing) what difference that makes.

    Then infer whether enlarging (or otherwise tweaking) the port is what you might want to do, or might want not to do.

    I have 604's in 3154's (spec'd: 6 ft3) and have a bit of a hole from 55-80hz, maybe ranging a bit higher, ...to sort out.

    I like the midrange and "live" soundstage.
    I would like more bass and a more cohesive sound (compared to my other speakers, PSB Imagine T3's)
    I also would like a nicer looking cabinet, taller (ear level) and possibly larger CU ft.

    I dont know how to do those measurments, ie LF frequency response etc.

    Thanks

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 604-8g's how to improve?

    9 ft3 minimum ~ 40hz tuning, with a broad/wide baffle to control step response

    Markwart phase corrected network, or just go active and don't look back.

    Where's 604man with those 20+ ft3 boxes?
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member 604man's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 13th, 2009
    Posts
    117
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 604-8g's how to improve?

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    9 ft3 minimum ~ 40hz tuning, with a broad/wide baffle to control step response

    Markwart phase corrected network, or just go active and don't look back.

    Where's 604man with those 20+ ft3 boxes?
    HI, Yes just search "604-8g big cabinets big sound".

    the cabs work good I gave the dimensions in the post .


    604-8G.jpg

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec 604-8g's how to improve?


    Phil-G's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2013
    Location
    restaurant at the end of the universe
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 604-8g's how to improve?

    Quote Originally Posted by 604man View Post
    HI, Yes just search "604-8g big cabinets big sound".

    the cabs work good I gave the dimensions in the post .


    604-8G.jpg
    unfortunately photoFuckit has your pictures hostage.
    http://www.hostboard.com/forums/f700...nets+big+sound
    Sonic Barbarian

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member rogerh113's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18th, 2016
    Posts
    126
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 604-8g's how to improve?

    I built some 9 cu ft cabinets for my 604-8G, including Markwart crossovers. The bass goes low, and is tight and clean. I could not be happier. There is a thread on this board with all of the questions and responses from members here. Might provide some perspective on the larger cabinet option. With a bit of care, they might also meet the WAF hurdle.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member Earl K's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    513
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 604-8g's how to improve?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil-G View Post
    unfortunately photoFuckit has your pictures hostage.
    http://www.hostboard.com/forums/f700...nets+big+sound
    I'll assume that means you can't see 604mans pic.

    FYI, I can see the pic because I use an extension for my ( Chrome ) browser called"Photobucket Embedded Image Fix"

    This has worked well for me for quite some time ( at least a year now, if not more ).



  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec 604-8g's how to improve?


    Phil-G's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2013
    Location
    restaurant at the end of the universe
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 604-8g's how to improve?

    Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    I'll assume that means you can't see 604mans pic.

    FYI, I can see the pic because I use an extension for my ( Chrome ) browser called"Photobucket Embedded Image Fix"

    This has worked well for me for quite some time ( at least a year now, if not more ).


    well there they are howabout that.
    Sonic Barbarian

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2008
    Location
    SEPA
    Posts
    633
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 604-8g's how to improve?

    Quote Originally Posted by Terp View Post
    I like the midrange and "live" soundstage.
    I would like more bass and a more cohesive sound
    ...
    I dont know how to do those measurments, ie LF frequency response etc.

    Thanks
    a) to avoid cabinetry work you could first try a "current-drive" / "transconductance" / "constant current" amp instead of a 'voltage drive' amp. Your work would be to determine what is one, and then finding one to build or buy. (we presume the latter).
    For that however, you will then need to build a current-drive crossover.
    I have a simple working example based on the info presented in: PassDiy

    It would seem that in practice there can be a grey area, or transitional zone wherein voltage driven becomes (closer to?) current driven (perhaps a matter of 'added series resistance', perhaps not).
    Others can comment on the veracity of those terms used. I am discerning the differences myself at the moment.


    b) In olden days, you would plot this manually using a certain technique.
    Nowadays Parts Express sells the 'DATS' unit for your computer. There may be others.
    Pretty much: You hook up the driver, and press a button.
    An example of the (free air) impedance plot I created for my 515's can be seen at: Altec / GPA measurements: 515 - diyAudio



    ps. in other threads when 'Z' is discussed, it is nominally referring to 'impedance'

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member 604man's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 13th, 2009
    Posts
    117
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 604-8g's how to improve?

    Quote Originally Posted by Terp View Post
    I like the midrange and "live" soundstage.
    I would like more bass and a more cohesive sound (compared to my other speakers, PSB Imagine T3's)
    I also would like a nicer looking cabinet, taller (ear level) and possibly larger CU ft.

    I dont know how to do those measurments, ie LF frequency response etc.

    Thanks
    What do you mean by a more cohesive sound ???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28236960 times.